Hope Refuge is an anti-trafficking organization dedicated to supporting the developmental needs of youth and young adults at-risk, especially those impacted by sexual exploitation and human trafficking.
Hope Refuge’s mission is to collaborate with others to abolish sex trafficking in America and provide hope for survivors. Hope Refuge provides a retreat center for programs and services, addressing the hurt and trauma caused by commercial sexual exploitation.
At least 100,00 to 300,000 American youth are at risk for commercial sexual exploitation annually in the U.S. (Estes and Wiener, 2001)
The overarching goal of Hope Refuge is to create a caring environment and supportive community in which trafficking survivors can heal from the trauma of abuse, abandonment and neglect. Through the programs, and in the context of caring community, they will have an opportunity to discover their passions and gifts. Our hope is to see them empowered to think forward toward a future where their dreams and unique potential can be personally realized and shared with others.
WHY SUPPORT US?
THESE ARE OUR CHILDREN
THE AVERAGE AGE OF ENTRY INTO THE SEX TRADE INDUSTRY IN THE USA IS JUST 12 YEARS OLD.
(US Department of Justice, Child Exploration and Obscenity Section)
Are you aware of the crises in America? Click to Learn More
- The average age of entry into the commercial sex industry in the U.S. is 12 years old. (U.S. department of Justice, Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section)
- One in three teens will be recruited by a pimp within 48 hours of leaving home and becoming homeless.
- At least 100,00 to 300,000 American youth are at risk for commercial sexual exploitation annually in the U.S. (Estes and Wiener, 2001)
- Once a minor who is a victim of the sex traffic trade is identified and rescued there are few appropriate safe placements and homes available for them. (National Report on Domestic Sex Trafficking)
- Human trafficking involves the act of recruiting, transporting, harboring or receiving a person through a use of force, coercion, or other means for the purposes of exploiting them.
- After drugs, the trafficking of humans ranks second as the most common organized crime generating billions of dollars a year. (UN)
- The Federal Victims of Trafficking and Violence Prevention Act of 2000 defines sex trafficking as, “a commercial sex act induced by force, or coercion, or in which the person induced to perform such acts has not attained 18 years of age.”
- The majority of those trafficked are women and children, with minors under the age of 18 being the most vulnerable (Congressional Research Services Report to Congress).
- 80-90 percent of sexually exploited children have a history of child sexual abuse
- The National Incidence Studies of Missing, Abducted, Runaway, and Throwaway (NISMART) children estimate that 1.6 million children run away from home each year in the U.S.
THE NEED FOR PROGRAMS AND SAFE FACILITIES
The “National Report on Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking” states that there are few facilities in the U.S. with programs that specifically address the complex issues that a sexually trafficked child faces. It is estimated that there are thousands of children in Los Angeles and Orange counties alone who are victims of sex trafficking. The “National Report on Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking” further states that more than 100,000 minors are being trafficked for sex in many major cities across the U.S. There are limited resources available to help survivors break free from the cycle of commercial sexual exploitation. Facilities that provide safety for survivors traumatized by the abuse in the sex traffic industry are critical.
Hope Refuge Inc is a 501c3 nonprofit organization established in 2013 in response to the growing awareness of the crisis in America involving children and young adults who are being trafficked in the commercial sex industry. There are thousands of American born children and youth who are being sold for sex in many cities across America. There are few resources that address the trauma experienced by those who are victims of commercial sexual exploitation.
Hope Refuge offers the following projects and programs:
- Day Wellness Retreats
- Weekend Respite Retreats
- Week-long Residential Camps
In collaboration with state and local agencies and anti-trafficking organizations, Hope Refuge hosts retreats and camps for trafficking survivors. The goal is to provide an opportunity for those affected by the abuse of trafficking to retreat to a beautiful natural setting that is safe, peaceful, and nurturing. These events will incorporate opportunities to relax, recreate, learn, and to participate in times of focused therapy to address the unique issues associated with their restoration journey. The camps are hosted at a beautiful retreat center located on 214 acres of oak woodlands and rolling hills with stunning views of the ocean. It is a perfect natural environment to find healing, rest and to begin dreaming and preparing for a hope-filled future.
WHAT SURVIVORS AND ADVOCATES ARE SAYING ABOUT HOPE REFUGE:
“I wanted to thank you for having us up to the camp this past weekend. You truly made it an extraordinary trip. Our girls had so much fun and are so excited for the upcoming adventures that are only possible through this experience. You are all amazing in the work that you do and we couldn’t be happier to have been a part of this journey with you. [The girls] shared their interests in going back and helping make this camp/program a success for all survivors and victims who attend. My partner … and I are amazed at how much can be utilized and how much there is to offer our clients. We hope to be able to partner with you again to help make your vision into a reality…. Thank you.”
A.D., EMPOWERMENT ADVOCATE 2016
1 in 3*
*One in three teens will be recruited by a pimp within 48 hours of leaving home and becoming homeless.
EMPOWER A SURVIVOR
You can sponsor a survivor to join our programs.
Many survivors rarely have the opportunity to get away and experience a peace and restorative environment, such as the beautiful natural setting that Hope Refuge offers. You can support a survivor on their journey to restoration.
SCHEDULE YOUR TOUR
Please let us know if you would like to schedule a personal or group tour of our facility. We are excited to show your around. Please feel free to contact us using the online “Get in Touch” form below.
GET IN TOUCH
Let us know if you would like to get involved with a new or an existing project.
PO Box 80325, Goleta, CA 93118